Monday, October 27, 2008

What I do...

Lots of people have been asking me what I do at my new job, so I thought I'd make a post of it! Truth is... I'm still figuring it out. But this is what I know...

As the program administrator, I'll be working with businesses and individuals to be more environmentally aware and, therefore, reducing air pollution in the process. So when we meet with people (at fairs, corporate information sessions, etc.) we try to make sure they can do at least one thing to reduce consumption of anything that might be harmful to the environment (especially transportation alternatives). Same with businesses. Then we recognize the ones that are making a significant impact. Part of this includes letting companies know when there are "air alert" days during the warmer months so they can inform their employees and make changes to routines to help the situation. So it sounds like I'll be out and about meeting with people/businesses quite a bit!

I'll also be doing some grantwriting and fundraising along the way. All part of relationship building! I may even be part of a Monday morning radio show at some point!

Since I will be working with two different agencies it will be a little tricky. Both are in very different phases of development so balance will be key.

Both would really like to expand into the schools to do air quality/environmental education with children. That is something I can wrap my head around and will get into I'm sure!

These first few weeks I'll be doing lots of reading about air quality issues and meeting lots of new faces! I've spent much of my days, so far, online researching terms as they come my way. Everyone at the office has been very helpful in showing me around and helping me figure things out.

1 comment:

Becky said...

You are soooo grown up! I am sooo proud of you with your real office! Let me know how that feels!