Saturday, October 30, 2010

$10 Date Night: Halloween

Since we are not yet independently wealthy, we tend to just not go out. But being the bargainista that I am, I thought we could still have a lot of fun for little money and knew that I could come up with $10 every two weeks or so. There begins $10 Date Nights. If we get creative enough, we'll see if it warrants its own blog. We'd love ideas!

This week, our first, I said I would plan (I'm guessing we'll take turns). Since it's Halloween weekend, I thought a themed date was in order.

Here was the plan:
  • Carve a pumpkin
  • Roast said pumpkin's seeds (see recipe below)
  • Eat cookies
  • Watch a scary movie
Here's what it cost:
  • Cookies, $2.96
  • Pumpkin, $4.18
  • TOTAL... $7.14 (what can I say, I like a bargain!)


It's no Marta Crass creation, but works for our front steps!

Roasting the pumpkin seeds was pretty easy too. Here are the instructions:
  • Wash the seeds thoroughly. Lay on a paper towel to dry most of the way.
  • Lay them on a cookie sheet (we greased the sheet, but I'm not sure you need to do it)
  • Brush on melted butter and Worchestershire sauce, then sprinkle on some garlic salt
  • Bake at 275 degrees for 10-20 minutes, stirring them every 5-10 minutes. It took us about 30-35 minutes to get ours completely toasted and crunchy. So just keep an eye on them.
Jeff picked the movie. We watched "The Strangers". Nothing gross and bloody (okay, there was a little blood), just suspenseful. It was on TV the other day and Jeff recorded it so we didn't have to rent a movie!

No comments: