Sunday, May 24, 2009

Can you guess where I was?

If you guessed the Williamson County Landfill, you are correct! I got to take a tour of it on Friday as part of the Environmental Leaders class I took earlier in the spring. It's a really neat place! I was warned of rattlesnakes before I went, but didn't see or hear any while I was there. When you drive up you have no idea its a landfill. They don't take household waste, so its not stinky like you'd think. They do some pretty incredible things there that are sustainable and earth-friendly. In fact, I think he said they've had 24 different countries come to see what they do. The people from China stayed a week to study the place.


Below is a pile of ground up houses.



Lewis, who runs the place is a genious! He knows trash and had some pretty eye-opening stats to share. Did you know that Williamson County produces 2x the national average of waste?
Just one of the fun things I get to do at work!

In garden news, the plants are going nuts. We've been able to eat some broccoli and some lettuce. We may have some cauliflower and snow peas ready by the end of this week. Here's an updated picture at the request of Heather! And for the record, that's only about 1/3 of the garden!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks. I am proud of you for having a garden. I think the deer would eat a garden at my house. I do not want to put a fence up like the neighbors. I am glad you are so green.

MamaToTyAndTodd said...

I am so impressed with your garden!!!!